Thank you for attending the March 16 forum “Advancing a Vision of Asian America: The Role of Higher Education” hosted by Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies (AAADS), UC Berkeley, Asian American Research Center (AARC), and AAADS Community Supporters.
The forum was funded in part by a generous grant from the Minami Tamaki Yamauchi Kwok & Lee Foundation. We thank the MTYKL Foundation and especially foundation board member Donald K. Tamaki for their support!
We need your help. As AAADS program co-founder Prof. Ling-chi Wang said, “The need for a strong and vibrant AAADS is greater now and will be through the foreseeable future. We must never stop fighting for the future of Asian American Studies in Berkeley.”
You are invited to an informational virtual meeting with Asian American studies supporters in mid-May to discuss how community members can advance Asian American studies in higher education and help with related efforts such as mandating Asian American history in K-12 curriculum.
There are two meetings. You only need to attend one meeting, but you’re welcome to attend both:
May 19, 2022 – 12:00 PM Pacific Time
Registration Link: https://bit.ly/3tLq5Ii
May 20, 2022 – 12:00 PM Pacific Time
Registration Link: https://bit.ly/372jCzW
At the meetings. we will explore the formation of a community council to include program alumni, allies, and advocates who believe that vibrant and healthy Asian American studies and history curricula across the nation are critical to a healthy future for our country.
Our thanks to Deborah Freedman Lustig and Max Vanderwarker at the Institute for the Study of Societal Issues, UC Berkeley, for managing the event, and to our event committee for their assistance and support: Bao Vang, Donald K. Tamaki, Elaine H. Kim, Eunice Kwon, Hannah Chea, Harvey C. Dong, Hatem A. Bazian, Joi Barrios-Leblanc, Khatharya Um, Lok Siu, Mark Fong, Minda Bautista Hickey, Olivia Serene Lee, and Son Chau.
We deeply appreciate our speakers for the time, insight, and wisdom they shared:
- California Assemblymember Phil Ting
- Prof. Khatharya Um, Program Coordinator, AAADS, and Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Social Sciences Division
- Prof. Lok Siu, Chair, AARC
- Donald K. Tamaki, Senior Counsel, Minami Tamaki LLP, and Board Member, MTYKL Foundation
- Aarti Kohli, Executive Director, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Asian Law Caucus
- Bao Vang, AAADS Student, and Asian American Political Activation (AAPA) Program Political Education and Community Engagement (PEACE) Chair, Asian Pacific American Student Development
- Grace Pai, Executive Director, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago
- Hannah Chea, Research Assistant, AAADS
- Jeff Chang, Writer, Senior Advisor, Butterfly Lab for Immigrant Narrative Strategy at Race Forward
- Kate Lee, Co-Founder + Executive Director of Make Us Visible
- Jon Osaki, Documentary Filmmaker, “Making Waves: The Rise of Asian America”
- Lillian Galedo, former Executive Director, Filipino Advocates for Justice
- Maanasi Shyno, Dartmouth Asian American Student Collective
- Miya Iwataki, Nikkei Progressives, VP Little Tokyo Historical Society
- Nkauj Iab Yang, Executive Director, California Commission on APIA Affairs
- Dr. Thu Quach, President, Asian Health Services
Thank you again for your support!